One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A public official who acts as prosecutor for the state or the federal government in court in a particular district.
- ‘The district attorney has my complete faith and our judicial process is going to have to do better this time.’
- ‘The grand jury doesn't have to listen to the district attorney at all.’
- ‘Biely resigned from the district attorney's office and officially withdrew as a candidate, but could not get his name off the ballot.’
- ‘The Bronx district attorney said that such prosecutions were a mistake.’
- ‘The report examines the corruption of some of the union officials who have not been prosecuted by the district attorney's office.’
- ‘The district attorney in neighboring Nassau County decided not to impanel a grand jury.’
- ‘The district attorney is prohibited from commenting on the ongoing grand jury investigation.’
- ‘So the things that a local district attorney has to prosecute now are expanded and much more sophisticated.’
- ‘We hope to hear from the district attorney and the defense attorney in a moment.’
- ‘I inform the licensing board and the district attorney, and they do their job.’
- ‘I now turn this case over to the district attorney, who has the responsibility of prosecuting the case.’
- ‘Ultimately none of the men did time, and the district attorney responsible for the scandal was swept from office.’
- ‘But it certainly does make it more difficult for the district attorney to prosecute those cases.’
- ‘The welfare office turned the information over to the Riverside district attorney.’
- ‘Is there no legitimate room for creativity in the district attorney's office?’
- ‘Thanks to your efforts, the district attorney has subpoenaed letters from everyone.’
- ‘There's been arrests, but the district attorney has not made a decision whether to file the case or not.’
- ‘Only if a manufacturer refused to comply could the bureau turn the case over to a district attorney for prosecution.’
- ‘He was elected San Francisco district attorney and then state attorney general.’
- ‘Instead, all charges were dropped when the district attorney decided that no jury would convict them.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.