One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An insulated cap that fits over the distributor in a gasoline engine and that distributes voltage to the spark plugs.
- ‘One mile into the stage the distributor cap came off.’
- ‘Pandas mentions a car engine, which will not work if one removes the fan belt, spark plugs, distributor cap, or any of numerous individual parts.’
- ‘He impatiently toyed with the distributor cap.’
- ‘Wayne pulled the distributor cap and saw that the rotor button was half burnt out.’
- ‘The owner, who had parked the car there after it had broken down, had removed the distributor cap to immobilize his car.’
- ‘Other common problems include faulty spark plugs, an ill-fitting fan belt and a cracked distributor cap.’
- ‘A big guy with dirty ginger hair shambled out, a distributor cap trailing ignition wires dangling from his hand.’
- ‘We worked on the car and found not only had the radiator hose broken, but the distributor cap had corroded.’
- ‘As his assistant removes a distributor cap, the repair-shop owner relates homespun parables and gently offers advice.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.