Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An agent who supplies goods to stores and other businesses that sell to consumers.‘a wholesale liquor distributor’‘the movie's distributor booked the film into theaters’
dealer, merchant, buyer, seller, salesman, saleswoman, buyer and seller, marketeer, merchandiser, broker, agentView synonyms
- ‘Then he had to find a way to get it into his distributor's warehouse.’
- ‘Wholesale wine distributors fought the law change because they stand to lose the most.’
- ‘The workshops will review market research techniques and the role of agents and distributors.’
- ‘A low-profile company, Connect is the biggest independent distributor of electronic components in Europe.’
- ‘I'm negotiating to become the sole distributor of it in British Columbia.’
- ‘Aurora Corp is also major distributor of telecommunications products.’
- ‘So what does this contradictory evidence mean to the promotional products distributor?’
- ‘Five years ago, General was the best book distributor in the country.’
- ‘When you become an herbalife distributor, your appearance becomes part of your sales pitch.’
- ‘The underlying value of sampling is that distributors sell what they are most comfortable selling.’
- ‘Can a brand such as Northwest Airlines or Holiday Inn survive without a major third-party distributor?’
- ‘We were the largest independent beverage distributor in western Canada.’
- ‘But there won't be any support from big North American distributor for these AMD chips.’
- ‘I'd imagine there would be implications from such a move for other distributors in the country.’
- ‘The beer distributor has set up a keg of beer in the square.’
- ‘Only last month, Ferrari announced it was seeking an official distributor in the country.’
- ‘The company will appoint its distributors among the kerosene oil depot, at three per cent commission.’
- ‘But there is a reason that this film hasn't been able to find a U.S. distributor.’
- ‘Movies that can't find a distributor have a very difficult time getting seen.’
- ‘You are now ready to proceed as an independent herbalife distributor.’
2A device in a gasoline engine for passing electric current to each spark plug in turn.
- ‘The only cure was to get soaking wet while trying to dry out the distributor that generated the electricity that made the car go.’
- ‘Power generators and distributors are the havens of choice in uncertain times.’
- ‘This engine has a unique system: a pick-up coil in the distributor triggers the spark.’
- ‘The assembly is commonly mounted in the distributor or on the end of the crank or camshaft.’
- ‘Plates also covered the fuel pump opening and that of the distributor.’
- ‘Many motorists cannot tell a drive belt from a distributor.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.