One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A branch of a river that does not return to the main stream after leaving it (as in a delta).
- ‘Flows may have been storm-triggered or represent hyperpycnal underflows sourced from deltaic distributary channels, indicating the proximity of the coastline.’
- ‘Within the distributary channel the relatively static nature of the saline wedge inhibits seaward bedload transport.’
- ‘The seven forests are on old levee ridges associated with past distributaries of the Mississippi River.’
- ‘The regular splitting and shifting of distributaries in the delta plain is caused by bars that are formed at the river mouth.’
- ‘The Vagetikona project that was taken up two decades ago is a fallout of Gunjana falls and one of its distributaries flows to Kodur town as Gunajaneru.’
- ‘Their distributaries shifted to a more efficient course through what is now the main stem of the Mississippi, downstream from New Orleans.’
- ‘The water mass consists of tiny hilly streams, winding seasonal creeks, muddy canals, some truly magnificent rivers and their tributaries and distributaries.’
- ‘These intervals possibly represent signatures of distributary channels in a coastal-plain environment.’
- ‘These cycles are interpreted as distributary mouth bars formed during a brief lowstand period.’
- ‘The environment is interpreted as a dominantly subaqueous delta top, similar to the modern Mississippi but with meandering distributary channels.’
- ‘The Rhine (and its distributaries Waal and Lek) was virtually a wine highway, linking Cologne with Dordrecht and Rotterdam.’
- ‘A large tract of land was inundated following a 20-foot breach in the Pai distributary near Anandpur Jharot village, about 10 km from here, last evening.’
- ‘The lack of rainfall is obviated to a degree by a well-developed irrigation system based upon a series of distributaries running from the Lower Swat Canal.’
- ‘It is the artery that provides life itself, as do its tributaries and distributaries, whether irrigation systems or natural deltas.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.