One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
See distressingas submodifier ‘the pattern was distressingly familiar’
- ‘And I ultimately wound up changing nearly every font to different flavors of Arial, which yields a distressingly mundane appearance.’
- ‘This was the most distressingly unpleasant and humiliating experience of my life that didn't involve medical staff.’
- ‘More distressingly the chemotherapy made her give off a particularly unpleasant odour.’
- ‘Political conventions have become distressingly routine and disturbingly predictable.’
- ‘Perhaps most distressingly of all, there has been little progress in assisting rape survivors, let alone convicting those responsible.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.