Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Swollen due to pressure from inside; bloated.‘a distended belly’
- ‘After many days I noticed my belly was becoming distended.’
- ‘The stems are succulent, and have dark green to black distended nodes.’
- ‘Notably, the peritoneal cavity was dry and was not distended with gas.’
- ‘We see her cradling her seemingly distended belly in the next scene.’
- ‘Varicose veins are larger distended veins that are located somewhat deeper than spider veins.’
- ‘Your doctor will also feel your abdomen to find out if the bladder is distended.’
- ‘The plain abdominal films show distended loops of intestine with thickened bowel walls.’
- ‘The patient was pale with a soft, distended abdomen.’
- ‘He was pale and sweaty with distended neck veins and a rapid heartbeat.’
- ‘The tummy is distended with a gas to make more room.’
- ‘The stomach was distended reflecting a gastric outlet obstruction.’
- ‘The scars of the stigmas shone like silver beneath her distended skin.’
- ‘The explanted heart was markedly enlarged with a distended, flaccid right ventricular wall.’
- ‘Either she was about 20 weeks pregnant or her bladder was grossly distended.’
- ‘Bizarre honey-pot ants, whose distended stomachs are full of honey, also provide a sweet treat.’
- ‘Tubes wear out every year or so: They become distended, or they spring leaks.’
- ‘In contrast, her abdominal region appeared slightly distended.’
- ‘These sounds are most likely the bursting of the abdominal wall distended by gas.’
- ‘In April 2003, a young Kazakhstani boy was taken into hospital for an operation on his unusually distended stomach.’
- ‘Computed tomography showed a large anterior abdominal wall hernia containing distended bowel loops.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.