One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An athlete who competes in long- or middle-distance races.
- ‘A distance runner is in good running shape, but probably does not have the muscular strength of a weightlifter.’
- ‘I am a distance runner and my feet are in awful shape.’
- ‘She's at a stage in her career when, as a distance runner, she's got plenty left in her.’
- ‘As a reward, my father gave me a book about the life of that great distance runner Emil Zatopek.’
- ‘The world's greatest-ever distance runner will compete over 10 kilometres in the BUPA Great Manchester Run on May 22.’
- ‘He was also a long distance runner and a good artist.’
- ‘The bitterness basically is boring, and certainly it is counterproductive for somebody who wants to try at least to be a long distance runner.’
- ‘Growing up a skinny kid in New Jersey, I had no dates, social skills nor athletic talents and therefore was encouraged to become a distance runner.’
- ‘Radcliffe said: ‘As an athlete, I invest most of my energy and time in my quest to be the best distance runner in the world.’’
- ‘He was arguably the best distance runner on the track team.’
- ‘I had never found running to be so draining, and I was a long distance runner for both the cross country and track teams at my school!’
- ‘And, though you don't know it when you first see Bitsey run, she's also a long distance runner.’
- ‘Yeah, the guy was a long distance runner and so he had a full page photo of him in running gear crossing the finish line in a race.’
- ‘On the other hand, if you are a long distance runner, try to pick your next race date so that you are at a peak on your physical cycle.’
- ‘On the contrary, Cory loved getting into shape, and was a long distance runner for his old school before he graduated.’
- ‘A few years back, a TV commercial for a popular energy bar showed a distance runner straining to reach the finish line.’
- ‘He is only 22 and well down the road to surpassing Gebrselassie as the greatest distance runner of all time.’
- ‘It's the loneliness of the long distance runner against the wind.’
- ‘But there's one thing that some of us, bordering on obesity, can't stand and that is the loneliness of the long distance runner.’
- ‘Well, I love running, and I'm a big guy, so I'm not exactly built as a distance runner.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.