Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A method of studying in which lectures are broadcast or classes are conducted by correspondence or over the Internet, without the student's needing to attend a school or college. Also called distance education.
- ‘The number of colleges and universities offering distance learning is on the rise.’
- ‘Snapshot testimonials of students and others involved in distance learning are scattered throughout the book.’
- ‘They can be full-time, part-time, delivered through local further education colleges, or distance learning.’
- ‘Moodle goes beyond distance learning because it augments lessons through enhanced teacher-student interaction.’
- ‘This problem is especially serious in distance learning conducted in virtual reality.’
- ‘The students' opinions of distance learning versus traditional methods yielded mixed results.’
- ‘The other 3,500 students will attend part time courses run by the college using on-line and distance learning.’
- ‘There was a channel on my local cable system on which various colleges and universities presented distance learning programs.’
- ‘Though there may be many reasons for this discrepancy, one possible explanation lies in the rise of distance learning.’
- ‘Thanks to distance learning, both kids and parents can now pursue higher education at home.’
- ‘Additionally, the authors discuss the various forms and uses of available technology in distance learning.’
- ‘Yet, she has graduated with a diploma in business studies from Sligo IT and is now studying Social Studies through distance learning.’
- ‘University administrators have tended to welcome online education and distance learning.’
- ‘One form of distance learning occurs when an instructor places courseware on a Web server where it can be accessed from afar.’
- ‘Although not new, distance learning remains an experimental realm at most colleges and universities.’
- ‘I looked into a few non-traditional distance learning programs, and found a great one at Goddard College.’
- ‘The concept of distance learning is not new; correspondence schools have been in existence for decades.’
- ‘Katherine has also found time to lecture undergraduate dance students and tutor for distance learning degree modules.’
- ‘Forty years later, those dedicated educators in distance learning classrooms remain the true heroes.’
- ‘In the study, distance learning was through audio teleconference.’
distance learning/ˈdistəns ˌlərniNG/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.