One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The female side of a family.‘the family title could be passed down through the distaff side’The opposite of spear side
- ‘It was the distaff side of my descent that appealed most to me.’
- ‘This page explores the life of the distaff side of families from each of three classes.’
- ‘Ancestor hunters usually begin by concentrating on the paternal line of father to father to father, the line usually of the surname, but in many families the distaff side will ultimately be far more interesting.’
- ‘Here are some idle ramblings from the distaff side of my family.’
- 1.1 The female members of a group.‘this fascination was not limited to the distaff side of society’
- ‘In London poverty and art coexisted, as the month extended into several years; and while loved aplenty from the distaff side, Jean-Philippe kept fantasizing about a father-figure.’
- ‘Outstanding among the distaff side are two actresses who are also a delight to the eye and ear.’
- ‘This stress on the distaff side across genres signalled a diverting switch from years past when the mere depiction of women characters was subject to stringent regulation.’
- ‘His sensitivity and thoughtfulness attracted him to the distaff side, instead.’
- ‘On the distaff side, the pre-eminent talent was musical.’
- ‘On the distaff side, I have already mentioned Cynthia Carss.’
- ‘Moreover, the sergeant major's wife, Hazel, began planning an extensive program for Academy student wives as well as the distaff side of the faculty and staff.’
- ‘This victory was perhaps consolation for the western side that received a pasting earlier on the distaff side.’
- ‘On the plus side four men and just two women meant that the distaff side had definitely got the best bargain on personal space.’
- ‘Her status as a widow is indicative of the exclusively female nature of the business, whose secrets travelled down the distaff side only and whose product treated ‘Female Complaints’ alone.’
Late 19th century: because spinning (see distaff) was traditionally done by women while men did the weaving.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.