One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Lack of symmetry.
- ‘Tariff dissymmetries are being exploited by a number of alternative calling procedures.’
- ‘It's a really difficult question to answer because we can do a lot about dissymmetry.’
- ‘And they're never even on the same level anymore, height-wise: she sits, he stands, they keep creating all kinds of dissymmetries between them.’
- ‘Possibly the most significative feature of these models is the very basic importance of dissymmetries.’
- ‘The pattern of two Jewish authors to one Christian continues a legitimate and welcome dissymmetry in the book.’
- 1.1technical The symmetrical relation of mirror images, the left and right hands, or crystals with two corresponding forms.
- ‘Enantiomorphs belong to a special class of symmetry that is actually closer to a dissymmetry: ‘the mirror image of [the crystal is] not superposable upon the crystal itself.’’
- ‘Barron now suggests extending the definition of chirality to include time-reversal as well as dissymmetry.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.