One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The action of spending more than one has earned in a given period.
- ‘Prestowitz examines this claim within the context of deficits, dissaving, and U.S consumption as the motor of the global economy (although U.S. influence is limited).’
- ‘When inflation is taken into account, you will realise that you are actually dissaving,’ he points out.’
- ‘From the usual tangency can be read the consumption choices and present saving or dissaving.’
- ‘In the aftermath of the bursting of the equity bubble, the current account deficit had come to represent dissaving, with the government and the private sector borrowing heavily from the rest of the world.’
- ‘All the constituent sectors registered improvement in saving rates except the public sector which increased its dissaving rate from 0.9 per cent in 1999-2000 to 1.7 per cent in 2000-01.’
- ‘However, pre-funding retirement accounts will increase national saving only if they do not crowd out other private savings or increase public dissaving.’
- ‘And not only are American households not saving due to Fed policy, the federal government makes matters much worse by dissaving in the form of a deficit of more than $500 billion.’
- ‘That being said, as society ages there is real dissaving, regardless of how the tax system manages cross-demographic flows.’
- ‘Finally, we are determined not to swap the current situation of government saving and private dissaving into one of government dissaving and private saving.’
- ‘At the same time, our private investment may prove inadequate to keeping the economy growing rapidly, because government dissaving will no longer be offset by capital flowing in from abroad.’
- ‘If actions are taken to reduce federal government dissaving, pressures to borrow from abroad will presumably diminish…’
- 1.1dissavings The excess amount spent.
- ‘Normally these needs for savings and dissavings will arise at different times for different families.’
- ‘Bank money creates bank savings and bank dissavings or loans create deposits in equal amounts so net to zero.’
- ‘In addition, any savings accumulated earlier on, tends to be used up in what is called dissavings.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.