One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in a composite flower head of the daisy family) any of a number of small tubular and usually fertile florets that form the disk. In rayless plants such as the tansy the flower head is composed entirely of disk florets.Compare with ray floret
- ‘In some species, the head is entirely composed of disk florets, and is known as a discoid head.’
- ‘Each tiny disk floret produces copious amounts of nectar and that's why gardeners love them.’
- ‘Ray florets typically are quite showy whereas disk florets are smaller and, oft-times, inconspicuous.’
- ‘The stamens/style column of each disc floret is particularly long, about 5mm above the floret petals.’
- ‘Heads on discoid plants have an extra whorl of disc florets instead of ray florets.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.