Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A receiver or transmitter of electromagnetic energy, especially microwaves or radio waves, that consists of a reflector shaped like a shallow dish.
- ‘Current systems rely on Doppler radar with a dish antenna that rotates to scan the surrounding terrain.’
- ‘Because the pan-tilt pointing system of the shuttle's high-gain dish antenna was considered unreliable, NASA approved a backup plan for orienting the antenna directly towards a relay satellite.’
- ‘It has an 84-foot diameter, mechanically steered dish antenna and is capable of transmitting a peak power of two million watts at each of its two frequencies.’
- ‘A dish antenna and an electronic system embedded in a flat small box, called the set-top box, are the essential parts.’
- ‘In addition, a smaller dish antenna would be enough.’
- ‘The satellite is providing more than 50 channels of crystal clear digital audio programming transmitted directly into portable receivers containing small built-in 10-centimeter dish antennas, he added.’
- ‘If the landlord doesn't approve and permit satellite dish TV, under the rules and regulations, renters have the right to install dish antennas in permissible areas.’
- ‘Besides the dish antenna, you need a set-top box and a few related gadgets, which will let you view only the channels you want to watch and for which you are prepared to pay.’
- ‘This means that it is not enough to just have a dish antenna to catch the Sports channel.’
- ‘A dish antenna will be placed on an existing chimney and ground level works will also be completed.’
- ‘Then, to his surprise, the tiny dish antenna on top started searching the sky for a receiver.’
- ‘Some of them had put up their dish antennas and set up 14-inch television boxes to enable them monitor the event as it unfolded.’
- ‘Communications were aided by a large metal dish antenna mounted on the back.’
- ‘Dealers who have been selling the digital receiver and dish antenna needed for DTH have reported good demand for these products, indicating its growing popularity.’
- ‘Alternatively, the downlinks are carried through a smaller number of large dish antennas and distributed terrestrially.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.