One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘But these were the one-off fruits of the disendowment of the Church (mainly the dissolution of the monasteries), a windfall which was unrepeatable on the same scale.’
- ‘The accompanying disendowment of church funds provided substantial sums for the relief of Irish poverty.’
- ‘This disendowment was to be carried out by the king.’
- ‘From the 1370s onwards, Parliaments frequently complained that the clergy weren't paying their fair share towards the war effort with France - and some demanded disendowment of the clergy.’
- ‘The disendowment of hospitals was even more injurious to the poor.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.