Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A function of several variates used to assign items into one of two or more groups. The function for a particular set of items is obtained from measurements of the variates of items that belong to a known group.
- ‘The discriminant function that separates the two groups best is statistically significant at the 5% level.’
- ‘The second discriminant function differentiated the HU group from the other two groups.’
- ‘These lineages were characterized by means of a discriminant function separating the putative ancestral sample from the youngest sample of one of the species.’
- ‘Of 97 students who did not meet state benchmark standards, the discriminant function accurately predicted 88 cases.’
- ‘The discriminant function was deemed significant at the 0.01 level.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.