Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A function of several variates used to assign items into one of two or more groups. The function for a particular set of items is obtained from measurements of the variates of items which belong to a known group.
- ‘These lineages were characterized by means of a discriminant function separating the putative ancestral sample from the youngest sample of one of the species.’
- ‘The second discriminant function differentiated the HU group from the other two groups.’
- ‘The discriminant function that separates the two groups best is statistically significant at the 5% level.’
- ‘Of 97 students who did not meet state benchmark standards, the discriminant function accurately predicted 88 cases.’
- ‘The discriminant function was deemed significant at the 0.01 level.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.