One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Income remaining after deduction of taxes, other mandatory charges, and expenditure on necessary items.Compare with disposable income
- ‘The problem is especially acute at low levels of income, where savings and discretionary income are very limited.’
- ‘The more the state spends and taxes the less discretionary income citizens have in take-home pay (or what remains after deductions for tax and national insurance).’
- ‘Alternatively, individuals at greater risk might select a more comprehensive plan and supplement the voucher's value with other discretionary income.’
- ‘As they enter their retirement years healthier and wealthier than previous generations, Boomers will have more discretionary income for travel and entertainment.’
- ‘Fear of unemployment, falling tourism numbers, the impact on disposable, discretionary income of stealth taxes have all taken their toll, as has a squeeze on pay in the private sector.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.