One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
It is better to avoid a dangerous situation than to confront it.
- ‘They have instead opted to pass up on a big pay day on the basis that discretion is the better part of valour.’
- ‘There are times when discretion is the better part of valour, of course.’
- ‘‘There's a point at which discretion is the better part of valour with respect to legal disputes,’ he said.’
- ‘With these credentials, a reasonable person would conclude that discretion is the better part of valor and bite his tongue.’
- ‘My co-worker came from this area, however, and discretion is the better part of valour.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.