A check that results when a player moves a piece or pawn so as to put the opponent's king in check from another piece.
- ‘It starts with an explanation of the rules of the game and then moves on systematically to cover more advanced material introducing basic themes like pins, forks, discovered checks, etc.’
- ‘Returning to the present position, he decided that maybe allowing the discovered check was OK with 29.’
- ‘Kc5 seems quite playable - there is no way to exploit the discovered check.’
- ‘A special case of discovered check is where the moving piece also checks the opponent's King.’
- ‘Oh, and I'll need the king off the e-file, so I don't lose the knight to a pin or discovered check or double check.’