Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1North Americananother term for discount store
- ‘Go to discount houses and see if you can find decent wedding and attendant dresses.’
- ‘They are owners of the nation's largest steel works, travel agency, brick factory, discount house, auto dealership and computer software firm.’
- ‘The night before we left on our vacation at Grand Beach Michigan, I dreamt of seeing a large maroon discount house and also a concrete bridge near an old railroad crossing.’
- ‘Under current law, discount houses and supermarkets can only buy goods on the grey market in Europe, although there are plans to allow them to buy direct from the cheaper US and far Eastern markets.’
- ‘It goes for a little under a hundred bucks at most discount houses and it seems like quite a bargain.’
2British A company that buys and sells bills of exchange.
- ‘The country had 31 commercial banks, of which 14 were fully foreign-owned, 19 finance companies, 12 merchant banks and seven discount houses.’
- ‘As prices fall further, bank loans turn sour, and one or more mercantile houses, banks, discount houses, or brokerages fail.’
- ‘Prior to the outbreak of World War I in 1914 world trade was financed through real bill circulation with London acting as the discount house on a remarkably small gold base.’
- ‘A clearing giant differs in its structure, business activities, and orientation from a discount house or a merchant bank.’
- ‘Furthermore, there would only be a limited period of time within which it would be reasonably foreseeable that a bank or discount house would rely upon a given set of audited accounts.’
discount house/ˈdisˌkount ˌhous/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.