Surgical removal of the whole or a part of an intervertebral disc.
- ‘I have no experience of hill-climbing whatsoever, and as a result of a discectomy I have nerve damage down my right leg, so this will not be an easy feat.’
- ‘Wouldn't it be nice to find an efficacious alternative to discectomy?’
- ‘Success rates for discectomy and decompression are high - 80 to 90 per cent - but stabilisation is more complex and a minority of patients may need further surgery or their condition may even deteriorate.’
- ‘Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion is used to treat degenerative cervical disc disease that cannot be relieved by conservative therapy.’
- ‘The patient underwent an anterior discectomy with a successful outcome.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.