One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who introduces and plays recorded popular music, especially on radio or at a disco.
- ‘He is the most popular radio disc jockey in the state.’
- ‘He was a disc jockey mixing music tracks for his local state college's radio station this time last year.’
- ‘The first verse sets the scene: a lonely disc jockey late at night connecting with his listeners over the air and on the phone.’
- ‘The 75-year-old granddaddy of the turntable has won a place in The Guinness Book of Records for being the longest-serving disc jockey in the world.’
- ‘How, he wondered, could a disc jockey front a sports programme?’
- ‘He got his start as a popular radio disc jockey in Los Angeles.’
- ‘My boyfriend is a popular disc jockey where we live, and it's very hard for me to separate work from home.’
- ‘The reel also featured a disc jockey from a local radio station talking about how cold it was that morning.’
- ‘Born in Texas, Johnny became a radio disc jockey at 14 and formed his own band not long afterwards.’
- ‘There is a bar, Chinese lanterns, and a hired disc jockey spinning popular records.’
- ‘Before getting into the country scene, Steve spent two summers in Greece as a disc jockey and compère, with the occasional bit of singing.’
- ‘As we passed the studio I recognized the disk jockey.’
- ‘I was a vagabond disk jockey on small stations with little income at age 30.’
- ‘The disc jockey went on to top the hit parade with a string of successes during the season.’
- ‘A week before the death of the Radio One disc jockey John Peel, an interesting exercise in semiotics was broadcast on the news.’
- ‘That didn't work out, so he became a disk jockey, then ran a loan company with his brother until he retired a few years ago.’
- ‘The truck is open on one side to reveal a stage, giant TV screens, a disk jockey, and break-dancers.’
- ‘Foot-tapping music from a live band alternated with popular party hits played by a lively disc jockey.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.