One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who introduces and plays recorded popular music, especially on radio or at a disco.
- ‘There is a bar, Chinese lanterns, and a hired disc jockey spinning popular records.’
- ‘He is the most popular radio disc jockey in the state.’
- ‘The 75-year-old granddaddy of the turntable has won a place in The Guinness Book of Records for being the longest-serving disc jockey in the world.’
- ‘The disc jockey went on to top the hit parade with a string of successes during the season.’
- ‘The truck is open on one side to reveal a stage, giant TV screens, a disk jockey, and break-dancers.’
- ‘Born in Texas, Johnny became a radio disc jockey at 14 and formed his own band not long afterwards.’
- ‘Foot-tapping music from a live band alternated with popular party hits played by a lively disc jockey.’
- ‘My boyfriend is a popular disc jockey where we live, and it's very hard for me to separate work from home.’
- ‘A week before the death of the Radio One disc jockey John Peel, an interesting exercise in semiotics was broadcast on the news.’
- ‘As we passed the studio I recognized the disk jockey.’
- ‘Before getting into the country scene, Steve spent two summers in Greece as a disc jockey and compère, with the occasional bit of singing.’
- ‘He got his start as a popular radio disc jockey in Los Angeles.’
- ‘The reel also featured a disc jockey from a local radio station talking about how cold it was that morning.’
- ‘I was a vagabond disk jockey on small stations with little income at age 30.’
- ‘How, he wondered, could a disc jockey front a sports programme?’
- ‘That didn't work out, so he became a disk jockey, then ran a loan company with his brother until he retired a few years ago.’
- ‘He was a disc jockey mixing music tracks for his local state college's radio station this time last year.’
- ‘The first verse sets the scene: a lonely disc jockey late at night connecting with his listeners over the air and on the phone.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.