Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Expressing an unfavorable opinion.‘he shot a disapproving glance at her’
- ‘The other paramedic, an aging man with a paunch and chronically disapproving eyes, nodded at my beer jug.’
- ‘There was a disapproving cry from the men watching.’
- ‘When confronted by their disapproving commanding officer, one of the soldiers says he doesn't know why they're even there.’
- ‘Elizabeth met his teasing glance with a small disapproving frown.’
- ‘Her lips were turned down in a disapproving frown.’
- ‘He could not, however, fail to discern her disapproving gaze.’
- ‘Disapproving critics compared Wyeth's dry, crisp surfaces to dead leaves.’
- ‘Some men maintained protective intergenerational boundaries by distancing themselves from disapproving parents.’
- ‘Darcy looked at her in a disapproving fashion.’
- ‘Male respondents made similar statements about disapproving in-laws.’
- ‘In Japan, Tokyo's security goals are confronted by disapproving views on militarism.’
- ‘A severe, disapproving look flashes across the dusty figure's face.’
- ‘Pulling up to the posh hotel in his old black Camaro, he grunted, handing his keys to the disapproving valet.’
- ‘In fact, one of the most publicized disapproving voices has arisen from the band itself.’
- ‘I think there was a disapproving eyebrow at the time.’
- ‘Even at his most disapproving, Neuhaus demonizes no one.’
- ‘The inference that his disapproving father pushed him away from home is clear.’
- ‘She saw Darcy giving her a rather disapproving look.’
- ‘An email from another disapproving reader appeared to concede that the exercise regime might be useful.’
- ‘She turned to find herself faced once again with the disapproving glance of William.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.