Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A Cajun dish consisting of white rice cooked with onions, peppers, chicken livers, and herbs.
- ‘A typical dinner might include fillet of sole, red beans and dirty rice, a green salad, grilled asparagus, and fruit for dessert.’
- ‘One pound of meat makes nine cups of jambalaya or dirty rice in less than 30 minutes.’
- ‘Perhaps the menu's stuffed pork chop won't be on hand, but a plump, browned chicken breast filled with delicious, scallion-spiked dirty rice will.’
- ‘There is also a side of dirty rice, and a creamy potato salad perked up with scallions, radishes and shreds of carrot.’
- ‘At the Polo Club, she relies on one of the complex's employees to give her a lift to the Fiesta supermarket, more than a dozen miles each way, so she can pick up some dirty rice and beans.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.