One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A farmer who ekes out a living from a farm on poor land, typically without the help of hired labor.
- ‘Belonging mostly to the gentry, they had no intention of becoming dirt farmers or laborers in America.’
- ‘She came of better stock than Texas dirt farmers, or so she thought.’
- ‘Given this, the plight of the dirt farmers who were forced to evacuate their 40 acres in the Dirt Bowl in Oklahoma of the 1930s was doubly tragic.’
- ‘He didn't argue with me a bit when I told him I thought one of his best roles was the dirt farmer, Willie Crawford, in the 1956 Robert Wagner war movie ‘Between Heaven and Hell.’’
- ‘I've been a dirt farmer all my life.’
- ‘Like most of the gentlemen of his class, Carter despised the hurly-burly of an electoral system that forced him to appeal for the votes of dirt farmers, whom he held in utter contempt.’
- ‘But, I tell you, mine are going to be really valuable someday because I'm carving real dirt farmers, Minnesota dirt farmers, and these people are disappearing from Minnesota.’
- ‘However, ‘there were no dirt farmers or poor artisans attending the convention to proffer an opposing viewpoint.’’
- ‘Late developer is a description that might sit snugly on 42-year-old Knight's shoulders, but this does not devalue the New Jersey man's articulation of the dirt farmer's mentality in his adopted state of Kentucky.’
- ‘Through most of its history, the Democratic Party was the natural home of hard-pressed, unglamorous America - manual workers, dirt farmers, small businessmen just a bad month away from bankruptcy court.’
- ‘There's no dirt under Veneman's fingernails, for she's spent her career in Washington and Sacramento, pushing for free-trade and biotech policies that rip off and displace our nation's real dirt farmers.’
- ‘I mean, even us dirt farmers could have told you that more demand for electricity and no new generating plants would make the price go up.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.