One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A folding armchair with crossed legs and a canvas seat and back piece.
- ‘A member of the movie crew, she said Schwarzenegger was sitting in a director's chair, surrounded by three or four other men, waiting for filming to start.’
- ‘A few months ago I bought an actual director's chair for less than $20 and some of the film stars' clothing was going for under $50.’
- ‘Lucy went right to the tall director's chair and the audience stood on its feet.’
- ‘I managed to sit down a little heavily into a canvas director's chair, causing me to overbalance and topple over backward.’
- ‘But we're still not quite sure what we think about Habitat's selection of products, which includes a coffee table by the French band Daft Punk, a director's chair by Ewan McGregor, and a bookshelf by Louis de Bernieres.’
- ‘The exhibition consists of a group of large flat tables (the old plywood-on-horses kind), each surrounded by bright red canvas director's chairs, inviting viewers to sit down and immerse themselves in a microcosm of the workshop itself.’
- ‘We'd watched in horror as a tipsy guest rocked recklessly on the back legs of a director's chair until it, too, collapsed in pieces.’
- ‘He isn't sitting in a comfortable director's chair in his spacious office, from where Lindenberg manages Üstra, a Hannover transportation company with 2,100 employees.’
- ‘Gold Medal, Incorporated, of Racine, Wisconsin, popularized the director's chair in the twentieth century.’
- ‘Adrian and I were seated on the grass with Ben and Chloe sitting on the director's chairs.’
- ‘It doesn't matter that we don't have a new sofa or that we sit on director's chairs around a milk crate and have our meals.’
- ‘On occasion, when the crowd swells, we have even been known to bring out the director's chairs, the ones used in the garden in summer, the ones that are so low they position a guest's chin right on the table, amazingly convenient to the plate.’
- ‘There are only eight tables on the terrace, each of them marble-topped, set with canvas-backed film director's chairs and protected from the sun by giant umbrellas that Sir Terence Conran would die for.’
- ‘As I huffed off, I noticed director's chairs with the names of Teddy Zee and James Lassiter.’
- ‘They and 19 other celebrities have been asked to create an item to celebrate furniture store Habitat's 40th anniversary, and have come up with their own designs for everything from a director's chair to a shoehorn.’
- ‘The room is laid out with sofas and chairs and, to the side of the screen, two director's chairs with ‘Michael Winner’ written across the back.’
- ‘Decorative touches such as vintage movie posters, a mini marquee, director's chairs, and overhead lanterns or strings of lights create the right mood.’
- ‘Now you can edit your own version of the classic shower scene from Hitchcock's masterpiece, no doubt while sitting in a director's chair and smoking a large cigar.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.