One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in diesel engines) the use of a pump to spray fuel into the cylinder at high pressure, without the use of compressed air.
- ‘The direct injection turbo diesel is borrowed from Peugeot and provides an alternative to the petrol power.’
- ‘The new LCV comes with direct injection turbo charged diesel engine and an increased payload capacity to help customers achieve better economies of scale.’
- ‘There are various reasons why high-pressure, direct injection is superior to indirect injection (which utilizes a pre- or intake chamber for the fuel).’
- ‘New-age diesels with electronically controlled, common-rail direct injection are cleaner, quieter and quicker than the old oil burners drummed off the market.’
- ‘The 2S19 is powered by a diesel engine with direct injection and mixed supercharge.’
- ‘This contrasts with competing lean burn high-pressure direct injection systems which require a catalytic converter with a NOx trap to control emissions.’
- ‘The new engine employs a common-rail direct injection system with precision-controlled fuel injection pressure and injection timing along with a small high efficiency turbocharger.’
- ‘Research indicates that direct injection and low compression ratios will facilitate mode switching.’
- ‘The test engine was an air cooled one cylinder four stroke diesel engine with direct injection.’
- ‘GM estimates that direct injection can improve gas engine fuel economy by 10 percent.’
- ‘The two 16 valve direct injection 1.7 diesel powertrains boast outputs of 75 and 100 bhp.’
- ‘‘Homogenous combustion and shaping the injection of fuel wave through direct injection are two very important technologies for diesel,’ say Bohr.’
- ‘The 100kW turbocharged common-rail direct injection engine has a useful 320Nm of torque on tap, which is available between 1750 and just over 3000 rpm.’
- ‘It was there that the four cylinder engine with direct injection unleashed its true power, as it rolled along the Trans Kalahari Highway.’
- ‘Having made the gradual switch to direct injection and turbocharging - reducing fuel consumption by some 10-15% - noise became even more of an issue.’
- ‘The modern high - speed direct injection diesel was the key European answer to the fuel crisis of the 1970s and it also brought with it a reduction of GHG emission in its wake.’
- ‘Engine - 2.5 litre five-cylinder, intercooled, turbo-charged, direct injection diesel - the same engine used in the 110.’
- ‘Bosch supplies the direct injection pump and injectors.’
- ‘Most significant, in the Irish context, is the arrival of the latest pump injector direct injection diesel from Volkswagen, which comes in 90 and 115 bhp versions.’
- ‘Direct injection is the coming technology for both gasoline and diesel engines, according to Bosch.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.