Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The electronic transfer of a payment directly from the account of the payer to the recipient's account.
- ‘Urge the Defense Finance and Accounting Service to establish procedures for direct deposit of retired and annuitant pay to foreign banks.’
- ‘The problems have kept tens of millions of transactions - including direct deposits - from showing up in Royal customers' accounts and has also affected other banks' customers, who awaited transfers from the Royal.’
- ‘Banks are partnering with universities to promote check cards, offering direct deposit and withdrawal from accounts.’
- ‘They've moved away, for example, from the cash payment for most of the security forces that is rife with corruption to a direct payment, direct deposit into accounts using checks.’
- ‘The suggestion that ADP was to blame, not that Air America had not met payroll requirements for ADP to make direct deposits, is loony.’
- ‘You can use direct deposit for both electronic and paper tax returns.’
- ‘But I wouldn't be at all surprised, Mr. Secretary, if a direct deposit has already been made to my private bank in Geneva - and for a considerably larger sum.’
- ‘FEMA officials have pledged to make direct deposits into evacuees' bank accounts on an individual basis some time in the future, but with many victims left with no mailing address or open account, such a plan is fraught with problems.’
- ‘And, for the convenience of our employees, we offer direct deposit for all payroll payments which makes funds immediately available in our employees' personal accounts.’
- ‘More oldsters seem to be resisting direct deposit, the Associated Press reports.’
- ‘That includes 3.7 billion direct deposits of payroll and reimbursement checks, investment proceeds and government benefits to individual accounts, which were collectively worth more than $4 trillion.’
- ‘There's also a growing niche for electronic payments between banks, such as direct deposit of paychecks and preauthorized payments of monthly bills.’
- ‘Enter your bank routing and account numbers for easy direct deposit.’
- ‘Additionally, there were widespread reports of robbery at the distribution sites, and it was further noted that senior citizens were distrustful of the banks or had no accounts for direct deposits.’
- ‘Sellers receiving payments by direct deposit will be paid twice monthly.’
- ‘We decided it would be more expeditious with direct deposits,’ she said, citing the large staffing operation that would be required to replicate the Texas operation in other states.’
- ‘I am again suggesting that the Government go to a payment system of direct deposit for all recurring payments, whether they be retirement cheques or salaries to government employees.’
- ‘That suggestion is to have their pay cheques or retirement benefits or social security cheques deposited to their bank accounts using electronic funds transfer, better known as direct deposit.’
- ‘A systems analyst with the agency misinterpreted information in Ottawa's electronic data banks, preventing direct deposits and generating paper cheques instead.’
- ‘There is always direct deposit or bank cheque as a safe method of payment.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.