One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A payment system whereby creditors are authorized to debit a customer's bank account directly at regular intervals.
- ‘Once you have opened your new account and instructed your new bank you should receive a list of all of the direct debits / standing orders on your existing account.’
- ‘It is a good idea to set up a direct debit from your bank account to pay your bill in full or a percentage of the amount due.’
- ‘It is not uncommon for banks and financial institutions to overcharge direct debits or standing orders by mistake.’
- ‘Make sure you set up a direct debit from your current account to clear the balance every month.’
- ‘So he didn't have far to look when it came to claiming on their life insurance policies, sorting out paying off the mortgage and cancelling her personal direct debits.’
- ‘Set up a monthly direct debit so that cash is deducted automatically from your bank account.’
- ‘Make sure you have enough money in your account to cover any direct debits, standing orders or cheques you have issued to avoid paying extra charges.’
- ‘The move will result in the bank offering direct debits, cheque books, standing orders and other money transmission services in its own right.’
- ‘That's why switching makes perfect sense, but many people are frightened to move because they've heard horror stories of lost direct debits, bounced cheques, mislaid wages and so on!’
- ‘The regulations mean that the old bank now has to send the new bank details of direct debits and standing orders within five working days.’
- ‘The new bank account switching code that comes into effect this week is supposed to make it easier for current account holders to close their existing accounts and transfer all direct debits and standing orders to a new bank.’
- ‘Set up a direct debit to leave your account when your salary goes in and watch your savings grow.’
- ‘This is good news, because problems with transferring direct debits, standing orders, etc. has put off many of us from switching in the past.’
- ‘This would involve constantly monitoring my account to ensure that I have just enough to cover bills, direct debits and withdrawals, but no more - switching the excess to my higher paying savings account each day.’
- ‘To improve your chances I would recommend that you make sure you operate your bank accounts in credit, or within any agreed overdraft facility, with no bounced cheques or failed direct debits.’
- ‘Now I am overdrawn on the bank through direct debits and simply cannot afford the childcare costs as well as my other costs.’
- ‘Of course this could be a genuine mistake - someone may have given out the wrong bank account details when setting up their direct debits.’
- ‘It is good news for the cost-conscious consumers as there is no cost for using the service, compared with direct debits, bank transfers or mailing payments.’
- ‘Each should contribute an agreed amount to the joint account to meet all the monthly direct debits, and what's left is their own to spend as they wish.’
- ‘One of the biggest problems for people on low incomes is that they may have incurred hefty bank charges because direct debits have bounced or they have gone overdrawn.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.