Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An electric current flowing in one direction only.Compare with alternating current
- ‘This then transforms the energy into the direct current that the battery uses to recharge.’
- ‘An integral inverter changes the direct current to alternating current for transmission into the facility's electrical distribution systems.’
- ‘LED lights require a transformer to turn alternating current to direct current.’
- ‘The inverter changes the solar direct current into the alternating current used by most household appliances.’
- ‘Its one-directional conduction gave it the ability to convert alternating current into direct current.’
- ‘So I went to solar panels, but these must have an ‘inverter’ that converts the direct current generated by the panels into alternating current to be used in my house, with the excess fed back into the city's power grid.’
- ‘The current must be converted from direct current to alternating current.’
- ‘Testing diode lasers with direct current is a complex operation.’
- ‘He waged and lost one of the world's first technology-format fights, be-tween alternating and direct currents.’
- ‘It creates alternating current rather than direct current.’
- ‘The high-voltage current then passes through a diode, which acts as a rectifier - it only lets current flow one way, so it changes the fluctuating current from the transformer back into steady direct current.’
- ‘They connect only through tie lines where power must be converted from alternating current to direct current and back again.’
- ‘A direct-current voltage is applied across a first layer of a conductive material, so that a direct current flows in a first direction through the first layer.’
- ‘There is a alternating current, instead of a direct current within the bobbin because of the motion of the string.’
- ‘High frequency current should be used for starting the direct current and arc with alternating current high frequency should be used continuously.’
- ‘Pipes containing wiring from each panel lead to a small shed behind the building, where the solar-generated power is converted from direct current to alternating current.’
- ‘In the Biorock electro-accretion process, a low-voltage direct current supplied by either solar panels or charging stations is applied to a submerged metal grid.’
- ‘A circuit arrangement for supplying a discharge lamp with a direct current includes input terminals for connection to a supply voltage source.’
- ‘The inverter converts the direct current produced by the solar panels into AC power that can be used in the home or fed back into a utility power grid system.’
- ‘The later device converts the low-voltage direct current put out by the batteries into 120-volt alternating house current.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.