Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The facility of retrieving data immediately from any part of a computer file, without having to read the file from the beginning.
- ‘The primary common feature is a search box with direct access to the search engine's main database.’
- ‘Also, there were issues related to fast search and direct access to full-text database.’
- ‘Not to be obstructionist, but are you sure you need direct access to the device file?’
- ‘By writing data to a file in the filesystem created by the kernel module, the kernel module has direct access to it.’
- ‘Moving the memory controller into the CPU gives it direct access to main memory.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.