One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A huge herbivorous dinosaur of the late Jurassic period, with a long slender neck and tail.
- ‘She seems to belong to another world, like a diplodocus, and I feel oddly privileged to glimpse her before she becomes extinct.’
- ‘‘Very large dinosaurs like the diplodocus found in the Algoa Basin took about three decades to reach adulthood,’ says Professor Chinsamy-Turan.’
- ‘‘Bronty’ the Brontosaurus was similar to his cousin the diplodocus, only bigger and fatter.’
- ‘Dr Manning believes the skeleton will inspire youngsters just as he was inspired by the skeleton of the diplodocus at the Natural History Museum, London, when he was seven years old.’
- ‘The neighbouring Museum of Natural History has the third-largest dinosaur collection in the world, including skeletons of tyrannosaurus rex, diplodocus and stegosaurus.’
- ‘Fossils of a previously unknown species, which is believed to have belonged to the herbivorous sauropod diplodocus family, were found along the banks of a tributary of the Amazon river in the northern state of Maranhao.’
- ‘An aging diplodocus (voice of Joan Plowright) and triceratops spout sage wisdom.’
- ‘Diplodocuses were the biggest dinosaurs but not the heaviest.’
- ‘Producing effects that manifested Iannucci's remarkable flights of comedy fantasy must, at times, have proved just as taxing for them as animating a diplodocus.’
- ‘A simpler way would be to trace the tattoo on his arm: an outline of a diplodocus, the world's longest dinosaur.’
- ‘On the ‘dinosaur coast’, near Scarborough, the footprints of a diplodocus show that the sandstone there was laid down 150 million years ago.’
- ‘They found embedded in solid rock what they believe to be the pelvis of a primitive sauropod, a four-legged, plant-eating dinosaur similar to better-known creatures such as brachiosaurus and diplodocus.’
Modern Latin, from diplo- ‘double’ + Greek dokos ‘wooden beam’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.