A bacterium that occurs as pairs of cocci, e.g., pneumococcus.
- ‘Dexamethasone therapy should be continued following test results only if gram-positive diplococci are found in the CSF Gram stain, or if cultures reveal Streptococcus pneumoniae.’
- ‘Neisseria gonorrhoeae is a fastidious Gram-negative diplococcus which closely resembles the related human pathogen Neisseria meningitidis, as well as several commensal species.’
- ‘Shortly before he left, however, a call from an excited microbiologist confirmed the presence of Gram negative diplococci in both blood and cerebrospinal fluid culture.’
- ‘The causative organism of gonorrhea, Neisseria gonorrhoeae, is a fastidious gram-negative diplococcus, which closely resembles the related human pathogen, Neisseria meningitidis, as well as several commensal species.’
- ‘If the smear shows Gram negative intracellular diplococci, the patient is treated for gonorrhoea and chlamydia to cover the possibility of a mixed infection.’