One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Thus, ‘bait’ and ‘boat’ are always monophthongs as I say them, but ‘bay’ and ‘low’ may be either monophthongal or slightly diphthongal.’
- ‘For example, there is no attempt to distinguish between the ‘pure’ O of Italian and the diphthongal O of British English, or between the various R sounds of English, French, Spanish, and German.’
- ‘Otherwise the dialect is solidly Midland, and aside from Germanisms bears a close affinity with the Philadelphia area, such as in its use of diphthongal long O and long A.’
- ‘These three models all crucially contribute to my explanation of variation and changes currently observed in the diphthongal system of Seoul Korean.’
- ‘They are represented by two letters, one indicating the start of the diphthongal movement, the other indicating its end or general direction.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.