An oxide containing two atoms of oxygen in its molecule or empirical formula.
- ‘The clay body is held together firmly by the collapsed molecules of aluminum dioxide and silicon oxide, which intermesh like a basket weave.’
- ‘Plastic production is water-intensive and causes air emissions of hydrocarbons, sulfur oxides, carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, and carbon dioxides.’
- ‘High concentrations of nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxides, and lead apparently often cancel the need for traditional blue.’
- ‘The oxidizing fluxes usually include cupric oxide or manganese dioxide, which decompose at copper alloy melting temperatures to generate the oxygen required.’
- ‘Previously, only the electricity sector and non-ferrous smelting industry were subject to the limits on nitrogen oxide and sulphide dioxide, two of the most notorious and significant contributors to smog.’