One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A semiconductor device with two terminals, typically allowing the flow of current in one direction only.
- ‘A diode is the simplest possible semiconductor device, and is therefore an excellent beginning point if you want to understand how semiconductors work.’
- ‘The R49 extends the wide choice of suppression products available from the company, which includes film and ceramic capacitors, transient voltage diodes, inductors and a wide range of mains plug and PCB / chassis mounted filters.’
- ‘With up to four stacked diodes in a device, the lasers can output up to 80 W of infrared power at a pulse length of 100 ns.’
- ‘An integrated circuit contains a planar first transistor and a diode.’
- ‘Molecular electronics - designing carbon-based molecules to act as wires, diodes, transistors and other microelectronic devices - is one of the most dynamic frontiers in nanotechnology.’
- 1.1 A thermionic tube having two electrodes (an anode and a cathode).
- ‘The cathode of the diode is connected to the column side of your matrix, the anode is connected to your switch, and the other contact on your switch connects to the row.’
- ‘Electronic technologies to watch: diodes that convert waste heat into electricity, cheap computer chips printed like newspapers, and electromechanical devices that fit on the head of a pin.’
- ‘The field emission cathode can be used as an efficient cold cathode in a variety of electronic devices, such as flat panel field emission displays, microwave diodes, triodes and more complex devices.’
Early 20th century: from di- ‘two’ + a shortened form of electrode.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.