One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A railroad car equipped as a restaurant.
- ‘Our train was a bunch of First-class sleeping cars and a dining car.’
- ‘Lake Pontchartrain was crossed in bright sunlight; at Slidell, the lounge and dining cars opened for business.’
- ‘I proceeded 3 more cars toward the head of the train to find the dining car.’
- ‘And where better to depict a city on the move than from a Midland dining car at the National Railway Museum in York?’
- ‘There was also an Assistant General Car Foreman along with three Assistant Foremen (one each for coaches, sleeping and dining cars and washing), on day shift.’
- ‘This, alas, meant a long walk to the lounge and dining cars.’
- ‘Evidently, she did not care if he was her waiter; he was in charge of the dining car, so she repeated her question.’
- ‘Some passengers came aboard with coolers and bags of food, but we preferred the experience of the dining car.’
- ‘It may be slower than a plane, bus or car, but for long-distance trips it has its good sides - a toilet, a dining car and a sleeping car.’
- ‘He updated Amtrak information at the station, including a new menu for the Texas Eagle dining cars.’
- ‘Velvety blacks and hazy dry-brushed grays at right depict a table set for two in a railway dining car with a blurred vista in the background.’
- ‘The teenager left school to help support his mother, working as a pantry boy on railway dining cars.’
- ‘A fair amount of heavyweight passenger equipment was still in use, too, along with Pullmans and dining cars.’
- ‘Michael decided that he did not want a full breakfast from the dining car.’
- ‘I realize that railroad dining cars are not cheap, and that first class passengers don't worry about the cost because meals are included, but it was ridiculous that I spent a total of $17.75 for breakfast, including the tip.’
- ‘A dining car, a sleeping car, and maintenance-of-way equipment might illustrate the jobs of African-American railroaders, yet these are located in different sections of the building.’
- ‘Al, mistakenly believing his wife had wanted to sleep in, found two younger women to accompany him to the dining car.’
- ‘In Easton, he photographed The Sportsman Diner, which was in an old dining car.’
- ‘My favorite dining car meal is breakfast so we trooped to the diner for immediate seating by the cheerful stewardess.’
- ‘I'll also never forget many a night spent in dining cars after hours.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.