One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A stupid or silly person.
- ‘After mistrusting everything I had been taught because I grew up and realised I was surrounded by uneducated dimwits, I had started to mistrust a lot of what society deems appropriate and inappropriate.’
- ‘This is what causes otherwise innocent young children to grow up into a population of stupid dimwits!’
- ‘A family of prehistoric dimwits go about their daily business, occasionally interrupted by dinosaur attacks and other such primordial dangers.’
- ‘It painted the young lady as a dimwit, someone, who had not put careful thought, had not completed the necessary research, and then made an uninformed decision to go ahead with this unique procedure.’
- ‘Not even the sight of a marked police patrol car outside the shop deterred the dimwit from seeing his raid through to the bitter end.’
- ‘Indeed, the very words ‘male bonding’ are now the stuff of insipid sitcoms where men are portrayed as frightened dimwits, even as women are encouraged to run with wolves.’
- ‘The dimwits weren't concerned with whether the vehicles actually existed or if people even wanted them.’
- ‘It's rather nice to not be accosted with dimwits and society children.’
- ‘The ‘form book’ beloved of television commentators and other paid dimwits across the planet is cat litter.’
- ‘Two responding foot patrol officers didn't even need backup from a cruiser to collar these dimwits; they just strolled over and stopped 'em.’
- ‘It took me a minute to recognize that these dimwits are afraid that I will steal their jobs.’
- ‘I personally think he is the most incompetent of all the dimwits I have ended up with.’
- ‘The senior agents also seem to employ dimwits to answer the phone precisely because their ignorance will create a useful shield.’
- ‘A minor mishap was avoided when a local dimwit, collared to prepare a group photograph, proved less than honest.’
- ‘It especially showed up the dimwits in the chamber.’
- ‘‘No’ she said sharply ‘but there is no reason for me to talk to brainless dimwits like you, I am after all your prisoner’ she said, and she scowled.’
- ‘And all these retail dimwits come out with the same stupid things.’
- ‘‘We're just kind of dimwits with nothing better to do,’ he jokes.’
- ‘The Florida dimwit, 37, has finally been arrested in connection with last month's attempted killing of seven puppies.’
- ‘Let's all us dimwits gather together and stand in their way!’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.