One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Occurring in or representing two distinct forms.‘in this sexually dimorphic species only the males have wings’
- ‘The model is applicable more generally in species that have dimorphic males, such as some other ants, bees, and fig wasps.’
- ‘This could be tested by comparing winter social systems and degree to which sex ratios are skewed in sexually monomorphic species versus sexually dimorphic species.’
- ‘The ontogeny and dimorphic features of many early Middle Ordovician ostracode species are still poorly known.’
- ‘Several pieces of direct and indirect evidence suggest that dimorphic sex chromosomes have evolved from an originally homologous pair of chromosomes.’
- ‘In Drosophila, one of the most evident dimorphic traits is represented by the body size, with males being smaller than females.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek dimorphos (from di- ‘twice’ + morphē ‘form’) + -ic.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.