A colorless liquid used as a solvent and synthetic reagent. It is readily able to penetrate the skin and is used in medicinal preparations for skin application.
- ‘The polar chemical dimethyl sulfoxide is a widely used reagent in cell biology.’
- ‘Water insoluble compounds were given as a solution in dimethyl sulphoxide.’
- ‘Dermal exposure of ricin is of little concern because the absorption amount is insignificant unless it is enhanced with a strong solvent such as dimethyl sulfoxide.’
- ‘The aim of this study is to explore the fascinating suggestion that structural differences can be induced in hypericin by changing the solvent from a commonly used solvent such as dimethyl sulfoxide to tetrahydrofuran.’
- ‘Although few studies have centered on the effects of hospital smells, one examined the effects of the odor of dimethyl sulfoxide in an oncology unit.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.