Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A substance used to dilute something.
- ‘It may contain any of the diluents, with the exception of starch, permitted for powdered extracts.’
- ‘Quantitative information concerning the concentrations of the pigments and diluents comprising the inks was not provided.’
- ‘The trick is to control the density of these groups by adding a hydrocarbon diluent to the monomer mix.’
- ‘There's no problem about getting a silver content done, but he might get curious about why I need all the extra info on diluents and trace metals.’
- ‘The vaccine diluent is 50 percent glycerin with a small amount of phenol.’
Acting to cause dilution.
- ‘Finally, we note that we have not considered possible thermodynamic factors related to the presence of the diluent glycerol influencing protein stabilization.’
- ‘In the majority of studies comparing the effects of seminal plasma and diluent composition on post-storage motility of stallion spermatozoa, no fertility trials were conducted.’
- ‘Salts and PDB above diluent threshold concentrations inhibit the effect of antimicrobial peptides on the germination of conidia, therefore all these quantitative assays were performed in a 50-fold diluted modified PDB.’
- ‘Lidocaine is sometimes used along with other injectable medications as the diluent solution to provide local anesthesia.’
- ‘An additional three mice served as diluent control animals, with an equal volume of methanol added to the reservoir at the same time point.’
Early 18th century (denoting a medicine used to increase the proportion of water in the blood): from Latin diluent- dissolving from the verb diluere.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.