Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A surgical procedure involving dilatation of the cervix and curettage of the uterus, performed after a miscarriage or for the removal of cysts or tumors.
- ‘That's something around the order of about 8% of patients who take the medication will not have a satisfactory effect and will require a dilatation and curettage to complete the miscarriage, or to complete the abortion.’
- ‘Today, a young woman came in for an endometrial biopsy, having already chosen to forego a dilatation and curettage.’
- ‘Other examples include orthopaedic procedures such as carpel tunnel release and release of tennis elbow; gynaecological procedures, such as D and C; and gastroenterology procedures, including endoscopy and colonoscopy.’
- ‘In fact, the law is so broad that if complications arise from an abortion and a girl has to have a D and C later on, parental consent is required for that.’
- ‘Termination of pregnancy or miscarriages that involve dilatation and curettage sometimes inadvertently remove myometrial tissue as well as removing the products of conception.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.