Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The phenomenon exhibited by some fluids, sols, and gels in which they become more viscous or solid under pressure.
- ‘Yet other experiments suggest that the change in strength at the CMF is due to dilatancy hardening at low melt fractions.’
- ‘Grain-scale brittle dilatancy would increase permeability, readily promoting the influx of CO2-rich hydrous fluids into the fault zone soon after its initiation.’
- ‘Association with vertical joints suggests that the deformation is progressively evolving towards dilatancy with increasing tectonically induced differential stress.’
- ‘It also distinguishes between two types of hardening, namely shear hardening and compression hardening and incorporates soil dilatancy and a yield cap.’
- ‘Volumetric strain energy density predicts the tendency for deformation band nucleation, the growth stage at which the deformation bands are defined by pore space dilatancy or collapse.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.