One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A temporary departure from the main subject in speech or writing.‘let's return to the main topic after that brief digression’
deviation, detour, diversion, departure, excursusView synonyms
- ‘Anyhow, digressions aside, this guy was completely incapable of performing his job with any degree of skill.’
- ‘Except for a few meandering authorial digressions, the novel maintains a cracking pace from start to finish.’
- ‘Anyway, my minor digression leads me to my point.’
- ‘By way of digression and as an aside, here's a little anecdote from education.’
- ‘As such, his writings express the digressions, meanderings, meditations, ruminations and speculations that characterise a singular, idiosyncratic mind at work.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.