One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A temporary departure from the main subject in speech or writing.‘let's return to the main topic after that brief digression’
deviation, detour, diversion, departure, excursusView synonyms
- ‘Except for a few meandering authorial digressions, the novel maintains a cracking pace from start to finish.’
- ‘Anyway, my minor digression leads me to my point.’
- ‘As such, his writings express the digressions, meanderings, meditations, ruminations and speculations that characterise a singular, idiosyncratic mind at work.’
- ‘By way of digression and as an aside, here's a little anecdote from education.’
- ‘Anyhow, digressions aside, this guy was completely incapable of performing his job with any degree of skill.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.