Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A period of time during which a person refrains from using electronic devices such as smartphones or computers, regarded as an opportunity to reduce stress or focus on social interaction in the physical world.‘break free of your devices and go on a digital detox’
- ‘The group encourages individuals and communities to take a digital detox and rediscover the world around them.’
- ‘This 'digital detox', as she calls it, means no phones, no laptops, no tablets - nothing is permitted which might connect me to the outside world.’
- ‘Could you survive a tech-free weekend on a "digital detox"?’
- ‘After my four-day Digital Detox, I made a few sensible changes to my signal-to-noise ratio that really helped.’
- ‘He is undergoing a digital detox this weekend.’
- ‘The World Travel Market Global Trends Report even listed digital detox as one of the next big trends to hit the hospitality industry in the coming year.’
- ‘Gillian was a guest on a recent episode of John's podcast, discussing how each initially got interested in technology, what excites people that write about technology all the time, and the notion of a digital detox and disconnecting from technology.’
- ‘With increasing rates of ADHD, shortened attention spans in children, and physical side effects from sitting hunched over all day, Adams is part of a growing group that are urging people to go on a 'digital detox'.’
- ‘The clinic specializes in digital detox, weaning the dependent off their gadgets.’
- ‘When forced into a digital detox, as I was during a recent sailing trip to Southern California's Santa Cruz Island, I relaxed far more quickly and completely than I had on past vacations.’
- ‘Schevitz estimates that about 10,000 people participated in some sort of digital detox either on their own or through group events such as a Device-Free Drinks gathering in San Francisco.’
- ‘Four roommates who confess they're online "pretty much all day" make a pact to engage in a digital detox - two weeks without smartphones, Facebook, Twitter, and more.’
- ‘Call it a digital detox or an escape from the online world, scientists say our brains benefit from down time.’
- ‘Time for a digital detox! This is the perfect way to take your mind off your job.’
- ‘As with any detox or when breaking any habit, a digital detox can be ugly.’
- ‘In the meantime, you can now go into "digital detox" at hotels and spas like the Fairmont Banff Springs, where you hand over your devices, and commit to massages, not messages.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.