One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A glandular organ of digestion present in crustaceans, mollusks, and certain other invertebrates.
- ‘The shell is secreted by the mantle, which lines it and also encloses the mantle cavity within which are the gills, the osphradium (a chemo-sensory organ), and openings of the digestive glands.’
- ‘From the mouth, particles are moved through a short esophagus to the digestive gland surrounding the stomach.’
- ‘One section, including a piece of the digestive gland, was frozen at - 80°C for further electrophoretic analyses.’
- ‘In the ensuing few hours the trap seals itself airtight, and digestive glands in the leaf secrete enzymes that reduce the insect to a dry husk.’
- ‘It functions as the principal store of cations and phosphate in the grain and as a digestive gland that synthesizes and secretes a range of acid hydrolases.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.