Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A branch of mathematics concerned with the determination, properties, and application of derivatives and differentials.Compare with integral calculus
- ‘Hindu science made great advances in astronomy, mathematics in general (including differential calculus and trigonometry) and the development of ‘arabic’ numerals.’
- ‘The Academy sought the best article on the theory of the mathematical infinity and they designed the competition to encourage mathematicians to seek a sound basis for the new differential calculus.’
- ‘I seemed to hit the limits of my mathematical abilities after differential calculus in 1986, my first year of university.’
- ‘In his last years he worked on a new absolute differential calculus and a geometry of Hilbert spaces.’
- ‘Not all were captivated by the application of differential calculus to human activity (inclusive even of marriage and procreation).’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.