One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Denoting or relating to a locomotive driven by the electric current produced by a diesel-engined generator.
- ‘Further discussions with British Rail top management led to the suggestion that the company should purchase their own fleet of diesel-electric locomotives, able to conform with company's requirements for power and reliability.’
- ‘Even though by 1960 the old steam locomotives were abandoned for the much more efficient diesel-electric locomotives, the tide could not be turned.’
- ‘Included in the procurement plan are eight diesel-electric submarines, six Patriot-III anti-missile batteries and a squadron of 12 anti-submarine aircraft from the US.’
- ‘The company, which employs about 3,000 workers, is the world's largest manufacturer of diesel-electric train locomotives with operations in LaGrange and London, Ontario, Canada.’
- ‘That number could swell if petrol- and diesel-electric hybrids catch on faster.’
- ‘Steam remained the unchallenged source of power for railroads until 1925, when the Central Railroad of New Jersey introduced the first diesel-electric locomotive.’
- ‘Since then, Taiwan's rail system has gone through several phases, from steam-powered engines to diesel-electric engines to fully-electric locomotives.’
- ‘More recently, diesel-electric locomotives and many of the monster trucks used in mining have made the transition to electric drive trains.’
- ‘Towards the stern, the propulsion was mangled, the diesel-electric engine still trying to turn.’
- ‘Union Pacific Railroad has ordered 315 diesel-electric locomotives designed to significantly decrease air emissions.’
- ‘Although concentrated ore continued to be transported to the Anaconda smelter until 1980, the line was converted for use by diesel-electric locomotives in 1967.’
- ‘The 18 new buses are diesel-electric hybrids, and they get 60 percent better fuel economy and provide up to a 90 percent reduction of certain emissions than the previous diesel buses.’
- ‘By 1970 Jamaica's railways had fourteen diesel-electric locomotives and only one steam locomotive was still in operation.’
- ‘The company has acquired new rolling stock like Chinese diesel-electric locomotives and fuel tankers.’
- ‘After an assessment, the first item on the priority list submitted by the Ministry of Defense was diesel-electric submarines.’
- ‘The Canadian Maritime Force has four Victoria class diesel-electric submarines, formerly Upholder Class submarines of the UK Royal Navy.’
- ‘You could hear the great diesel-electric locomotive miles away, just as you could hear its steam-powered predecessor clattering through the lowlands of the Hills of Clare.’
- ‘In their place, they're testing a variety of cleaner technologies, including diesel-electric hybrids and hydrogen fuel cells.’
- ‘For this the Canadian Navy obtained four modern, quiet long-range diesel-electric patrol submarines to replace their ageing Oberon-class boats.’
- ‘But now it's your cue to say there's an accountant with a speech impediment on the other side of the room with whom you are eager to discuss the history of diesel-electric locomotives on the former British Railways Western Region.’
A diesel-electric locomotive.
- ‘It would take the diesel-electric nearly fifty years to equal the horsepower output of the steam locomotive during its technological height.’
- ‘The City of Truro will arrive under its own power, while locomotive 50033, Glorious a diesel-electric will arrive as a permanent exhibit at the museum.’
- ‘They were seldom used on diesel-electrics but were used on some diesel-mechanical and diesel-hydraulic locomotives.’
- ‘Stream engines don't handle inclines well, however, so the trip from Cairns to Kuranda takes twice as long as if the train were hauled by a modern diesel-electric.’
- ‘This is a somewhat longer useful life than I would expect to receive from an appraisal on diesel-electrics in North America, primarily due to the fact that few, if any, railways outside of North America subject their locos to the kind of heavy usage that we do.’
- ‘Coal burning steam turbines, steam turbine electrics, and even gas turbines, all failed to oust diesel-electrics.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.