Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The caudal (posterior) part of the forebrain, containing the epithalamus, thalamus, hypothalamus, and ventral thalamus and the third ventricle.Compare with telencephalon
- ‘The neurohypophysis, or posterior pituitary, is derived from an evagination of the infundibular portion of the diencephalon of the brain.’
- ‘The internal capsule and corona radiata have been exposed by removal of the corpus callosum, caudate nucleus, and diencephalon.’
- ‘The latter includes the diencephalon; mesencephalon, or midbrain; pons; and medulla oblongata.’
- ‘From previous anatomical data, we hypothesize that the level of such actions is suprametameric, with strong implication of the diencephalon and cerebral cortex.’
- ‘Eye development in zebrafish first becomes morphologically obvious at the 6 somite stage, the time at which the optic lobes evaginate from the diencephalon.’
Late 19th century: from di- across + Greek enkephalos brain.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.