One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Die or collapse in large numbers.‘people in the area seemed to die like flies in the winter’
- ‘Do you mean to tell me that they are just going to sit there while people continue to drop like flies and offer no solutions?’
- ‘They say that if these farmers are forced out of unproductive farming because of globalisation, then they will die like flies.’
- ‘The fine animals that had endured the hellish voyage out from Britain died like flies from cold and sheer starvation.’
- ‘Imagine you are being attacked from every angle, and your troops and vehicles are dropping like flies.’
- ‘It saddens me at the end of every semester to see my dance mates dropping like flies because of injuries.’
- ‘When people are dropping like flies in plagues and epidemics, some actually recover, while others in their midst remain unscathed.’
- ‘Children died like flies in those conditions.’
- ‘Only a few days ago I was feeling smug about not coming down with anything even though my workmates were dropping like flies.’
- ‘Inmates are dropping like flies and being taken for emergency medical treatment.’
- ‘My friends and classmates are dropping like flies, following me into the realm of living death.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.