One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small cassette recorder used to record speech for transcription at a later time.
- ‘I had to turn my Dictaphone off when he came into the bar, but if my memory serves me right he'd just done 14 years for some kind of seriously painful crime.’
- ‘Well, by the age of 13, Craig David was already scribbling down lyrics and recording melodies on his Dictaphone.’
- ‘He lives at home, and spends his free time ‘singing into my Dictaphone for hours on end’ documenting ‘every last detail of my life, in scrapbooks as well’.’
- ‘With each new innovation - the telephone, the Dictaphone, the tape recorder - technology enthusiasts have declared the end of penmanship.’
- ‘Isabelle had lunch with Mark to persuade him against writing the book but was angered when she discovered he had recorded their conversation and threw his Dictaphone into a fish tank.’
Early 20th century: from dictate or dictation + -phone.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.